Music, parades, costumes, beads and tons of fun of course! All of these things mixed together are what make Mardi Gras so exciting! There are plenty of ways to go about celebrating Mardi Gras, whether you are in New Orleans or just hanging out in your dorm room. Make the most of it!
If you plan on traveling to New Orleans, there are many ways to get yourself into some trouble (good trouble that is). But before I share the secrets of having fun at Mardi Gras, here are a few helpful tips that you should really consider!
- Make your hotel reservation early! (Hopefully this one is already taken care of…)
- All the streets close down for Mardi Gras, so make sure you figure out how you are going to get around once you are down there. If you are staying in an urban hotel, taxicabs are hard to come by and public transportation is very rarely in use during Mardi Gras, I suggest getting a map (so you don’t get lost) and walking! If you are coming from a suburban hotel, leave early, there are off-site commercial parking lots but they fill up fast!
- If you plan on watching the parades, (which I highly suggest) GET THERE EARLY! The streets fill up quickly and you are going to want to be able to see the floats!
- I know you are there to have fun and get crazy. But respect the police, because they WILL arrest you.
- Hide your valuables or just don’t take them! Things get stolen very easily in big crowds, and especially if you are going to be having a good time.
- If you want to go out to dinner, I’d make a reservation now. Otherwise, you will have to deal with the street vendor food (which can be good too!)
- The most important one of all, no glass containers! Make sure and have cans or plastic cups!
Now for the fun stuff! If you plan on having the best time of your life in New Orleans for Mardi Gras, here are a few suggestions:
- Hit up the French Quarter, families have been warned not take their kids there, which means it’s going to be crazy!! This is where all of the risqué behavior is allowed, and I know that’s where you’re going to want to be! But do not take this behavior into the family areas, because like I said, the police will arrest you.
- Dress up! Wear a mask, or beads, or paint your face! That’s the best part of Mardi Gras. (not to mention getting to look at everyone else’s costumes)
- Last but not least, GET WILD! That’s what Mardi Gras is all about!
If you aren’t going to New Orleans this year for Mardi Gras, don’t worry! You can still get beads, have fun, and make it a good time. So get together with your friends, get a costume, and get crazy! Make this a Mardi Gras to remember (or not)!
I’m reading Introductory Chemistry: A Foundation